My Pocket Prairie
My Pocket Prairie - The Little Prairie That Does A Lot
Everything you will need to turn a patch of lawn into a 5’x5′ native prairie space!
The 9 species in My Pocket Prairie are plants that evolved for generations to be acclimated to our climate, and to serve important ecosystem benefits such as provide a food source and habitat for birds, bees, butterflies, and other pollinators. These plants are locally sourced and grown, meaning they will thrive in your yard in our Upper Midwest conditions. 3 plants of each species are included, for a total of 27 plant plugs for your 25 square foot space.
What's In the kit?
The full MPP installation bundle includes:
- 27 native perennial plants (9 different species)
- 5’x5′ All-Natural Biodegradable Weed Suppressant Mat with stenciled plant layout
- Corrugated Metal Edging
- Yard Sign & wooden stake
- Wood stakes and shims for edging install
- Metal staples for securing the mat
- All necessary hardware
- Instruction Booklet outlining the process!
My Pocket Prairie Includes 3 each of the below species, for a total of 27 perennial native plants!
- Swamp Milkweed: Milkweeds are the lone food source for Monarch Caterpillars!
- Purple Prairie Clover: Excellent spikes of flowers that open from top to bottom, loved by Bumblebees
- Narrow Leaved Purple Coneflower: Colorful blooms frequented by many Butterfly species. Seed is cherished by birds, especially through winter.
- Rattlesnake Master: Unique flower structure and foliage makes this species a fan favorite!
- Meadow Blazing Star: Centerpiece of your My Pocket Prairie! Truly a Monarch Magnet, this species is almost guaranteed to attract Monarchs to your garden when in bloom.
- Slender Penstemon: The first to bloom in your garden, this lovely flower may attract Hummingbirds.
- Gray Goldenrod: Attractive low-growing yellow flowers are a great food supply for pollinators in the early Fall.
- Sky Blue Aster: Charming blue flowers, providing much needed food fro Bees preparing for hibernation.
- Little Bluestem: This beautiful bunch grass will offer year round appeal as well as structural support for flowers. Host to Skipper Butterflies and great winter foliage!
Prairie Coverage: 25 square feet